Friday, November 4, 2011

My Pizza crust and sauce recipe A cheat post 11.4.11




It's a cheat day and post for me.

My intentions when I started this blog was to make a daily post and cook something that was featured on the show.  Today was extreme day on The Chew and I just could not make one of the two (first day only two options were shown).

First recipe was from Adam Richman, host and "the Man" in the Man vrs Food TV series.  I love the show and am a huge fan of Adam's, but I just could not bring myself to cook the Sea Urchin Carbonara that was shown on the show.  First, I am thinking that Sea Urchins might be a bit too difficult to find in Kansas.  But honestly, after carefully watching the recipe, considering the look, texture and just the idea of it... I was out.  Sorry Adam.

The remaining recipe was Michael Symon's Cowboy Ribeye with Marrow-naise and fries.  Now this was actually a possibility.  I did call around to my three butcher shops that are close, and would normally stock the hard to find item (Like the necessary femur bone for the marrow).  I could order it, but would take a week and also it seemed very expensive.  Combine that with the HUGE bone in ribeye that Michael made, this was just too much of a budget buster for me.

So, I failed.  I was beat, nothing for me to make today.

But, if you look closely, squint your eyes, drink a box of cheap wine you may just let me off with only a warning that I am skirting the concept of the blog (maybe a strike... do I get two more?).

You see, on the show they did a tour of a pizzeria that makes a 60 inch (5 FOOT) pizza that feeds 50 people.  While entertaining and fits into the theme of extreme foods, there was no recipe for me to try.

But they did brag on their crust and sauce.

So... Here's my Pizza 101 Crust and Sauce recipes.

First... the dough.  There are plenty of dough recipes out there.  But this is simple to make, fast (even though it has yeast, the rise time is only 30 minutes) and has always been fool proof for me.  Never fails!

3/4 cup WARM (105 degrees) Water
1 1/4 tsp Yeast (or 1/2 a pre-measured package)
1/4 cup Olive Oil
2 cups Flour
pinch of Salt

I use a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment.  Pour the flour and salt into the mixer bowl.  Next, mix the yeast and the water together.  Pour this into the bowl and start whirring away.  Add the oil in slowly.

The dough will become elastic, pulling away from the side of the bowl as it kneads the dough ball.  If needed, add a bit of water 1/2 tsp at a time, or flour if it is too wet.

After about 5 minutes of kneading, form into a ball and wrap in plastic and store in the fridge for about 30 minutes.  The dough will rise a bit, but not double in size as many yeast recipes call for.

And while the dough is resting in the fridge, let's work on a sauce.  This is painfully easy.  All you need is a can of diced tomatoes (It's November. Do not pretend that the tomatoes in the produce section taste the same as they do in August).

Anyway, empty the can of tomatoes in a saute pan and heat over medium heat for 20 minutes.  The simmer will bring out the natural sweetness of the tomatoes and break down the texture to a more semi solid.

Add a small can of tomato sauce and heat.

And you are ready.  If you like a chunky sauce, use as is.  Me, I normally prefer to whirl this through my food processor, or to use a hand held mixer to puree the sauce and it is done!  You can add some spices now, oregano if you like, or this is a good time to add a tsp of my "Not Your Grandmother's Herbes de Provence"

And that's it!  Home made, fresh made pizza dough and sauce in under 40 minutes.

And once you have a sauce and a ball of dough, pizza is easy...

Preheat the oven and a pizza stone (Hopefully, a stone makes a BIG difference in the quality of your pizza) to 500 to 550 degrees (YES, that hot)

Flatten out the dough onto a sheet of parchment paper.

Leave a little thicker lip around the edge so the good stuff does not run out while it bakes.

Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over the top of the dough.

Take a brush and make sure everything is coated.

Especially coat the lip part that will be exposed.  It helps to crisp up the dough so it has a bit of a crunch.

I like to season my dough at this time...

Just a little salt and pepper is all.

And I LOVE a cheesy pizza... LOTS of cheese.  I am not sure what it is called, but I buy a cross between mozzarella and provolone.  It slices easy and is just delicious (also, it melts beautifully so you get that stringy look when you cut the pizza).  So, I make a layer of cheese on the bottom of the good stuff.

And now the good stuff... Go ahead and add the sauce (it's been simmering, hot sauce is fine, the cheese will start melting).

Use the back side of a big spoon to get it into all the nooks and crannies, leaving a half inch or so around the edge.

And from here... add what you have.

This is my week night pizza.  I always have all these ingredients in my pantry.  The toppings are whatever I have leftover.  Chicken, steak, eggs, you name it.

Tonight I had some pulled pork and red onions.  Go light on the ingredients.  less is more.  No need to add a dozen toppings.  All the best pizzas only have a few ingredients (Like only 2 or 3).

And I top with some thinly slice provolone.

These slices are just for show.  the cheesy taste is in the base, these slices will bubble up and slightly char for that pretty look.

Move it to the oven and onto the pizza stone (cookie sheet will work in a pinch, but the stone does make a difference).

500 to 550 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  The edge will get that delicious golden brown and delicious look, while the cheese slices will bubble and char.

Let it rest for 5 minutes before you slice...



Sorry for the cheat... best I could do from today's episode.

2 comments:

  1. Goodness this looks amazing, thank you so much for sharing! I've never dealt much with pizza Glendale before. My grandmother used to try to teach me about this stuff but I never really listening. I really can't wait to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this tonight for dinner and it was a hit the hubby and kids loved it. I added a few things, to the meat i added red onion and yellow bell peppers then i sprinkled chopped jalapenos on top.

    Zion Park Restaurant

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...