Friday, October 14, 2011

Daphne Oz's Sweet Potato Oven Fries 10.14.11


Daphne Oz.... Daphne Oz on The Chew... HMMMMM

Aside from the child of a celebrity factor, I was unsure of Daphne on the show.  In fact, after three weeks, this is the first recipe or tip she has shown that I was excited about.  Many times on the show she seems out of her element.  Tossing out bizarre ingredients that I am sure are well known among the vegan community, but not to me.  I also have a basic mistrust of vegans.

BUT, she is growing on me.  She is a trooper, eating her first hot dog ever (???) on stage.  She is also starting to come into her own with more approachable suggestions.  For example, a few days ago, Michael Symon made a fried banana sandwich (click HERE).  the same day, she made chocolate banana chips that was a much more healthy alternative to Michael's recipe.  I did wonder, since Michael used Nutella, what would happen if Daphne's bananas were drizzled with Nutella instead of her chocolate as a "healthier" alternative in place of the "healthy" dish she showed.  Sure, Nutella is pretty high on calories, I just wondered if Nutella would work.

But I digress...


I was very excited to see this as an option on the show.  I simply adore sweet potatoes.  I have been looking and trying different recipes for baked fries... unsuccessfully.  It just seems like something easy, but my past attempts have not been great.  mushy and no snap.

I had the heat set too low.

It's not difficult, cut, coat (in extra virgin olive oil) and bake (425 for 18 minutes, flipping half way).  I did bake them on a pre-heated pizza stone.

And the verdict.... Almost perfect.  I think I committed the Cardinal Sin of baking and opened the door a bit too often.  I was worried that the EVOO would burn at that temp.

It didn't, it just lightly charred.  The skin indeed come out crisp, I just think a couple more minutes (or me not opening the door) would have made them just a tad more crispy.

I did get a great joke from the show... Do you know the difference between a charred dish and a burnt dish... About $20 a plate).

I made a very simple lemon garlic Aioli to go with the fries...

2 TBS Mayonnaise
1 TBS Dijon Mustard
2 Garlic cloves, minced fine
1 tsp Lemon juice

Whir in a mini chopper for a few minutes.

The fries and the Aioli paired TERRIFIC with the blackened catfish I served with the fries!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...