Friday, October 28, 2011

Carla Hall's Compound Butter 10.28.11




If you take a look at yesterday's post, you can just imagine the leftovers I have.  Ribs, Beans, Tater Salad, Cole Slaw, Pulled Pork and a full refrigerator.  I am under orders from the boss (my wife) to not cook anything new until we make a dent in the remains of the day!

BUT, if you have pulled pork, you need sandwich bread.

And if you make a loaf of bread, you need some butter!

Today's The Chew featured a quick easy condiment.  A reminder that meals are coming up soon (Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year's Eve) when something just a little bit extra is expected.

Like Herb Compound Butter!  Takes just a couple of minutes and just sets the table off as something special.

It's just about the easiest thing you can imagine.

The night before you plan to serve this (or, as Carla suggests, make ahead and actually freeze for the special occasion), just leave out a stick of butter (or a couple) to reach room temperature and to get soft.

Then add a tsp of herbs per stick.  Carla suggests Thyme and Chives.  I prefer my pre-made mix I call, :Not Your Grandmother's Herbes de Provence".  I make a batch up at least once a month to have around the house to add to eggs, make some herb bread (like this loaf).  Here's my recipe...



BTW, I make my own Mediterranean spice mix I call, "Not Your Grandmother's Herbes de Provence".  You will be seeing this ALOT.  It's a fast way to add that special savory taste to any dish.  I make about 2 cups worth a month and bit by bit, it is gone!  Tastes great on everything from eggs to chicken and anything in between!

While Oregano spice on it's own is fine, It was so much easier to just add a couple of TBS of this...

Here's my formula...
  • 1 part dried tarragon
  • 1 part dried Oregano
  • 1 part dried Dill
  • 1 part dried Rosemary
  • 1 part dries Thyme
  • 1 part dried Garlic Flakes
  • 1/2 part course grind Sea Salt
  • 1/2 part fresh ground Peppercorns
  • 1/2 part fresh Lemon Zest
    Note: if I know I am going to use this up in a week or two, I will go ahead and zest the lemon.  Sometimes I make enough to last a month or two with no real plans to use it.  On those occasions, I do not add lemon zest, instead I will add fresh zest as I make whatever recipe I am using the spice mix.


So, just a couple tsp of this added to the soft butter and mix and you have something special!

I was still having people around, so I served the fresh baked bread with the soft herb compound  butter from a dish (don't you love the heart shaped serving dish).  I did not have enough to freeze for later as suggested.  Click HERE to see The Chew website printed recipe, or HERE to see the video recap of Carla making her version.

Great way to add a little panache to a Redneck Shepherd's Pie meal made of leftovers...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...